Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Hopper Ground Swell painting

Hopper Ground Swell painting
Chase Peonies painting
Knight A Sunny Morning at Beaumont-Le Roger painting
Bastida El bano del caballo [The Horse's Bath] painting
Archer received this strange communication in silence. His eyes remained unseeingly fixed on the thronged sunlit square below the window. At length he said in a low voice: ``She never asked me.''
``No. I forgot. You never did ask each other anything, did you? And you never told each other anything. You just sat and watched each other, and guessed
-356-at what was going on underneath. A deaf-and-dumb asylum, in fact! Well, I back your generation for knowing more about each other's private thoughts than we ever have time to find out about our own. -- I say, Dad,'' Dallas broke off, ``you're not angry with me? If you are, let's make it up and go and lunch at Henri's. I've got to rush out to Versailles afterward.''
Archer did not accompany his son to Versailles. He preferred to spend the afternoon in solitary roamings through Paris. He had to deal all at once with the packed regrets and stifled memories of an inarticulate lifetime.

No comments: