Monday, July 7, 2008

Johannes Vermeer paintings

Johannes Vermeer paintings
Jacques-Louis David paintings
"No, indeed. You're too good to lose. If I can't have you for a sister I mean to keep you as a chum anyway. And don't fret over Roy. He is feeling terribly just now -- I have to listen to his outpourings every day -- but he'll get over it. He always does."
"Oh -- ALWAYS?" said Anne with a slight change of voice. "So he has `got over it' before?"
"Dear me, yes," said Dorothy frankly. "Twice before. And he raved to me just the same both times. Not that the others actually refused him -- they simply announced their engagements to some one else. Of course, when he met you he vowed to me that he had never really loved before -- that the previous affairs had been merely boyish fancies. But I don't think you need worry."
Anne decided not to worry. Her feelings were a mixture of relief and resentment. Roy had certainly told her she was the only one he had ever loved. No doubt he believed it. But it was a comfort to feel that she had not, in all likelihood, ruined his life. There were other goddesses, and Roy, according to Dorothy, must needs be worshipping at some shrine. Nevertheless, life was stripped of several more illusions, and Anne began to think drearily that it seemed rather

No comments: